Other Professional Experience
- Member, ACM-IEEE CS Ken Kennedy Award committee (2010-present)
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (1995)
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Fellow, American Physical Society (1991)
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Member, Association for Computer Machinery
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Member, American Astronomical Society
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, IEEE Spectrum (2006-present)
- Member, Editorial Board, Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science (1986 - 1990)
- Associate Editor, J. Computational Physics (1977 - 1980)
- Member, Institute for the Future Board of Trustees (2008-present)
- Member, Program Advisory Committee, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (1989 - 1998)
- Member, Board of Advisors, Sante Fe Institute (1986 - 1991)
- Co-Founder and Co-Director, Illinois Alliance to Prevent Nuclear War, November (1981 - 1984)
- Member, DOE ESnet Policy Board (2012-present)
- Chair, NSF Advisory Committee for Cyberinfrastructure (2011-present)
- Member, NSF and Consortium for Ocean Leadership's Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) Deans/Directors Oversight Board (2010-present)
- Member, NASA Advisory Council to the NASA Administrator (2001-2005; 2011 - present)
- Chair, NASA Advisory Council's IT Infrastructure Committee (2010- present)
- Member, NSF Office of Cyberinfrastructure Campus Bridging Taskforce (2009-present)
- NSF Alan T. Waterman Award Committee (2009-2012)
- Member, Strategic Advisory Board to NSF Engineering Research Center for Integrated Access Networks (2009-2011)
- Member, DOE Office of Science Advanced Scientific Computing Advisory Committee (2008-2011)
- Member, NRC Policy and Global Affairs Division Committee (2007-2010)
- Member, California Broadband Task Force (2006-2007)
- Member, Networking and Information Technology Advisory Group to provide input and feedback to the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (2006-2007)
- Chair, NASA Earth System Sciences and Applications Advisory Committee (ESSAAC), (2003-2005)
- Member, Advisory Committee to the Director, NIH (1998-2005)
- General Chair (with Bill Parker, UCI) NSF Advanced Networking Infrastructure and Research Division Workshop on Experimental Infostructure Networks (2002)
- Member, Board of Governors, Argonne National Laboratory (1998 - 2001)
- Member, President Clinton's Information Technology Advisory Committee (1997-2000)
- Member, National Research Council Computer Science and Telecommunications Board Committee to Study High Performance Computing and Communications: Status of a Major Initiative 1994-1995 Published the report"Evolving the High Performance Computing and Communications Initiative to Support the Nation's Information Infrastructure" [report]
- Invited participant, Advisory Committee on Advanced Television -providing input to Interoperability Review of Grand Alliance Proposal, FCC
- Member, National Research Council, Commission on Geosciences, Environment, and Resources (1990 - 1994)
- Member, Working Group Two, Government-University-Industry Research Roundtable, National Academy of Sciences (1987 - 1991)
- Panel Chair, Computing and Data Processing, Astronomy and Astrophysics Survey Committee, National Research Council (1990 - 1991)
- Member, National Research Council, Commission on Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Resources (1987 - 1990)
- Member, Office of Technology Assessment Advisory Panel on Basic Research in the 1990's (1990)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences Earth Observational Science (EOS) Review Panel (April 9-11, 1990)
- Member, Panel on Science and Technology Centers, National Academy of Sciences, 1987. Published the "Zayre Report"
- Member, NSF Subcommittee on Computational Facilities for Theoretical Research, March 1981. Published "Press Report" to Advisory Committee for Physics
Government Expert Testimony
- Invited testimony before the U. S. House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology's Subcommittee on Science, Research, and Technology, March 24, 1988.
- Invited testimony to joint session of the U.S. House Committee on Science and Technology, Committees on Science, Research, and Technology and on Energy Development and Applications, June 10, 1985.
- Expert testimony given for NSF Retreat on Computers for Research, which helped set current national supercomputer policy, May 23, 1983.
Workshops and Conferences Organized
- Program Chair, Supercomputing '95, San Diego, CA
- Frontiers in Supercomputing in the United States, September 9-10, 1988, Washington D.C., sponsored by the Academy Industry Program of the National Research Council and the Computer Science and Technology Board of the National Academy of Sciences (with Doyle Knight, Ed Abrahams, and Steve Chen).
- Scientific Applications and Algorithm Design for High Speed Computing, jointly sponsored by the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and the Center for Supercomputer Research & Development, April 1986, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois (with Ahmed Sameh and Robert Wilhelmson).
- Tenth International Conference on General Relativity and Gravitational Work-shop on Numerical Relativity, July 4-9, 1983, Padova, Italy.
- Numerical Astrophysics: A Festschrift for James R. Wilson, October 21-24, 1982, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois (with Joan Centrella and Fred Lamb).
- Workshop on Computational Astrophysics, summer 1982, Munich, Germany (with Karl-Heinz Winkler, Mike Norman, and Dimitri Mihalas).
- Workshop on Sources of Gravitational Radiation, July 24 - August 4, 1978, Batelle Seattle Research Center, Seattle, Washington.
- Symposium on Computer Techniques in General Relativity, August 8, 1977, at Eighth International Conference on General Relativity and Gravitation, Waterloo, Canada.
- Workshop on Dynamical Construction of Spacetime, April 19-22, 1977, Yale University (with Douglas Eardley and Vincent Moncrief).
- Princeton Informal Relativity Conference, June 30 - July 2, 1975, Princeton University (with William Press).
- Workshop on Initial Data for Nonspherical Collapse, June 2-5, 1975, University of North Carolina (with James York).
- Lloyd B. Thomas Lecturer, Arts and Science Week 2000, University of Missouri, Columbia (2000)
- Beckman Institute First Decade Lecture Series: "Industry and Academia in the New Economy," Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (December 7, 1999)
- Harlow Shapley Lecturer, American Astronomical Society (1981 - 1984)
- Consultant to Ab Initio, Boston, MA (1996-1998)
- Consultant to Los Alamos National Laboratory (August 1983 - 1990)
- Consultant to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (December 1976 - 1990)
- Physicist, "B" Division, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (summers of 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979)
- Consultant to Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (July 1979 - 1981)
- Member, Complete Genomics Inc. Scientific Advisory Board (2010-present)
- Advisor to the CEO, MedExpert International, Inc. (2000-present)
- Member, Future in Review Advisory Board (2008-2010)
- Advisory Board Member, Kintera, Inc. (2000-2008)
- Member, InterWest MedTech Advisory Committee (1999-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, and Chair, Scientific Advisory Board, Entropia, Inc. (1998-2003)
- Chairman of the Board and Cofounder, Knowledge Port Alliance, Inc. (1999-2001)
- Member, Technical Advisory Board, WebEx Communications, Inc. (1999-2003)
- Consultant, SAIC (2000-2003)
- Member, Fisher Scientific Biotechnology Council (1993-1998)
- Member, Vanguard Advisory Board, Computer Sciences Corporation, 1993-1997; Technology Transfer Institute 1998-1999 [Created quarterly IT frontier programs for Industrial CIOs]
- Executive Committee, World Space Center (1977 - 1980)
- "Black Holes," Undergraduate Semester Course, Department of Astronomy, University of Illinois, Fall 1983 and 1984.
- "General Relativity," Graduate Semester Course, Departments of Physics and Astronomy, University of Illinois, Fall 1981 and 1983.
- "The Physical Universe," Undergraduate Semester Course, Department of Astronomy, University of Illinois, Spring 1980, 1981 and 1983.
- "Descriptive Astronomy," Undergraduate Semester Course, Department of Astronomy, University of Illinois, Spring 1982 and Fall 1982.
- "Thought and Structure in Physical Science," Undergraduate Semester Course, Department of Astronomy, University of Illinois, Fall 1979 and 1980.
- "The Interstellar Medium," Senior Level Undergraduate Semester Course, Department of Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton University, Spring 1975.
- - J. Gardner, Junior Paper, Princeton Univ. Physics Dept., 1975
- - D. Welty, Senior Paper, Princeton Univ. Astrophysics Dept., 1976
- - J. Sloan, Univ. of Illinois Physics Dept., 1982-83
- - R. Brandolino, Univ. of Illinois Physics Dept., 1983-84
- - B. Kramer, Univ. of Illinois LAS, 1984
- - S. Morton, Univ. of Illinois LAS, 1991
Pre-Thesis Graduate Students:
- - E. Hu, Princeton Univ. Astrophysics Dept., 1976
- - B. Fortner, Univ. of Illinois Physics Dept., 1982
- - S. Dudley, Univ. of Illinois Physics Dept., 1983-84
- - R. Loushin, Univ. of Illinois Physics Dept, 1984
- - J. Townes, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1990 - 1992
Ph.D. Graduate Students:
- - K. Eppley, Princeton Univ. Physics Dept., 1974-75
- - J. Hawley, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1980-84
- - D. Sumi, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1981-85
- - A. M. Abrahams, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1985-88
- - D. Bernstein, Univ. of Illinois Physics Dept., 1986 - 1993
Postdoctoral Research Associates:
- - J. Centrella, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1981-1983
- - C. Evans, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1983-1986
- - R. Ove, Univ. of Illinois Astronomy Dept., 1985-1987
- - D. Hobill, Univ. of Illinois NCSA, 1987 - 1991
- - E. Seidel, Univ. of Illinois NCSA, 1989 - 1991
- - P. Anninos, Univ. of Illinois NCSA, 1991 - present